Re: [groff] mdoc(7) .Lk: complete rewrite of the macro

From: Steffen Nurpmeso
Subject: Re: [groff] mdoc(7) .Lk: complete rewrite of the macro
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2018 17:23:33 +0100

Ingo Schwarze <address@hidden> wrote:
 |i just posted a patch containing a complete rewrite of the mdoc(7) .Lk
 |macro to:  https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/index.php?52849

I have not seen the patch yet, but .Lk is terrible and
unpredictable by the document author, as you say.
Making it not go in stand-out mode would be a great improvement in
my eyes, one can use .Dl Lk or so if that is desired.

 |The point is to make it callable, get rid of the hard-to-predict
 |and counter-intuitive switching between in-line and display rendering,

Yes.

 |and to make behaviour and implementation better harmonize with other
 |mdoc macros.  For more details and a demo input file showing the
 |effects, see the bug tracker.
 |
 |Because of its current fragility, the macro is often used in non-
 |portable ways, resulting in ugly and inconsistent output.  The goal
 |is to make it easier to use and more robust.

Absolutely.

 |I'm looking for consensus here before moving the mandoc(1)
 |implementation in the direction that we will agree on.
 |So feedback is appreciated on both the changes in functionality
 |and on the new implementation.
 |
 |For convenience, i'm also appending the patch to this posting.

I would be happy to include that patch of which i assume it is
working for my thing.

--steffen