Re: [groff] A typo on fsf groff wiki page, and question about releasing

From: Ingo Schwarze
Subject: Re: [groff] A typo on fsf groff wiki page, and question about releasing
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2018 23:16:56 +0100

Hi,

Ralph Corderoy wrote on Mon, Jan 08, 2018 at 05:29:06PM +0000:
> Bertrand Garrigues wrote:

>> Again, if you feel you are interested in developing into groff I think
>> you should not wait such a long time.  There are some big topics

> And some smaller ones, I expect.

Exactly.  If you are interested in some particular project, start
contributing in a small way, as your time allows and as you enjoy it.

Typically people start with trivial bugfixes and proceed to bigger
bug fixes, minor features, larger features, minor reorgs, major
reorgs roughly in that order before even starting to think about
maintainership.

Bertrand Garrigues became (co-, temp-, or whatever-) maintainer
in a highly unusual, precipitous manner, and that's very lucky
for groff given the lack of hands, but even he did a major reorg
before that, completely overhauling the build system.

If you start now, and your interest persists, it could happen that
you are ready for the task by the end of your studies.  Or earlier
than that, or later.  Nobody can predict that, not even you yourself.

Yours,
  Ingo