Re: [groff] What does the "-u" in ".tmac-u" mean?

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: [groff] What does the "-u" in ".tmac-u" mean?
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2017 09:43:43 -0500

At 2017-11-12T11:48:33+0000, Ralph Corderoy wrote:
> Yes, groff is fast compared to some popular alternatives.
> But if we want to move from batch processing to interactive updating
> whilst editing then we need to keep an eye on slowing things down.
> Modern systems are doing that enough already.
>
>     ...computers from the 70s and 80s commonly have
>     keypress-to-screen-update latencies in the 30ms to 50ms range out of
>     the box, whereas modern computers are often in the 100ms to 200ms
>     range when you press a key in a terminal
>https://danluu.com/keyboard-latency/

Fascinating piece!  Might help explain why I'm happy with my HHKB.  :)

> The plan AIUI is to consistently strip, and include a comment at the
> start saying it's been done.

I did some quick research on this.

The practice at least as recently as groff 1.22.3 and in Git HEAD has
been to strip only certain macro files.  The macro packages getting the
treatment are (from the core) me and mdoc, and (from contrib) hdtbl and
mom.

And even those, only from a line matching (non-anchored) "%beginstrip%".

Including the comment informing the user of their generated status dates
back to April 2015; after the 1.22.3 release, unfortunately.

>  Should the unstripped be installed as a
> /usr/share/doc/groff/... with the comment referencing it?  Or the
> comment could give a URL directly to that particular version's
> unstripped source at savannah.gnu.org's cgit/groff.git?

The present comment says:

.\" This is a generated file, created by 'tmac/strip.sed' in groff's
.\" source code bundle from a file having '-u' appended to its name.