Re: [Groff] What does the "-u" in ".tmac-u" mean?

From: Heinz-Jürgen Oertel
Subject: Re: [Groff] What does the "-u" in ".tmac-u" mean?
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2017 10:51:37 +0100

Am Donnerstag, 2. November 2017, 08:09:48 CET schrieb Werner LEMBERG:
> > Does anyone know the reason for the following convention?
> >
> > $ find -name "*.tmac-*"
> > ./contrib/hdtbl/hdmisc.tmac-u
> > ./contrib/hdtbl/hdtbl.tmac-u
> > ./contrib/mom/om.tmac-u
> > ./tmac/e.tmac-u
> > ./tmac/doc.tmac-u
> > ./tmac/doc-old.tmac-u
>

> If my memory serves me well, the `u' stands for `uncompressed', i.e.,
> without comments and indentation removed.  Bertrand removed the
> functionality to install stripped tmac files, IIRC — computers are
> much faster today, so this is (probably?) no longer needed.
>

>     Werner

comparing:
tmac/e.tmac-s
tmac/e.tmac-u

-s means stripped comments and -u unstripped
Anyway, installed later is tmac/e.tmac
with the following comment at top:
.\" -*- nroff -*-
.\" This is a generated file, created by `tmac/strip.sed' in groff's
.\" source code bundle from a file having `-u' appended to its name.
.\"

So best for development is using the unstripped -u version

regards
     Heinz