[Groff] parallel text processing ; vertical and horizontal mode

From: E. Hoffmann
Subject: [Groff] parallel text processing ; vertical and horizontal mode
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2017 18:13:20 +0200

Hello *roffers.

Excuse me if this question has been answered zillions of time,
or if it is all absurd, but I don't find an answer ...

   I want to typeset parallel texts, like a translation, the original
*always* in the left column, the translation *always* right.  TeX has
the "parallel" package which does exactly that.

   Is a thing like that possible in groff, any macro package?
Moreover, is a thing possible not to have vertical columns, but
horizontal texts, above and below, like

page 1               page 2

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa      ...aaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...   aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
bbbbbbbbbbbbbbb      ...bbbbbbbbbbbb
bbbbbbbbbbbbbbb...   bbbbbbbbbbbbbbb

What would I have to learn to write a page trap macro or a diversion
&c. to get this effect?  Perhaps a modification of footnotes?

Cheers, Erich

--

"Let's not make bad things worse."