Re: [Groff] Macro "itc" is needed to make escape "\c" useful

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: [Groff] Macro "itc" is needed to make escape "\c" useful
Date: Tue, 2 May 2017 11:48:56 -0400

At 2017-05-02T01:57:54+0200, Ingo Schwarze wrote:
> Purely FYI:
>
> Given that the man(7) .TP .itc hack got committed to groff,

Some men just want to watch the world burn.  ;-)

> A few days ago, a patch from <G dot Branden dot Robinson at gmail dot com>
> got committed to groff which changed .TP from using .it to using .itc,
> such that groff now supports more than one man(7) macro line in the .TP
> head if all but the last line in the head end with \c.

Note that the commits also affected the .SH, .SS, .B, .I, .SM, and .SB
macros as well.  Basically it affected anything that set an input trap.

> Of course, relying on that behaviour is utterly non-portable, but if
> authors are reckless enough to use that idiom, let's do what they want.

I, for one, welcome our new \f-less overlords.  :-P

> A few days ago, a patch from <G dot Branden dot Robinson at gmail dot com>
> got committed to groff which changed .TP from using .it to using .itc,
> such that groff now supports more than one man(7) macro line in the .TP
> head if all but the last line in the head end with \c.

Technically, Bjarni Ingi Gislason proposed these changes in GNU
Savannah back in 2014.

But my hollering seems to be correlated with the commit date, so if
there's blame to be shouldered, I'll accept my share.