Re: [Groff] Flexible whitespace, columns, and the .h register

From: Peter Schaffter
Subject: Re: [Groff] Flexible whitespace, columns, and the .h register
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2017 13:40:19 -0500

On Tue, Jan 03, 2017, Ralph Corderoy wrote:
> > Conceptually, can anyone think of another way to get the position that
> > would be reported by .h without actually using .h?
>
> I had a quick look at the source and didn't spot anything that seemed to
> be maintained alongside .h.  Are you aware .h is specific to the current
> diversion?

I wasn't aware.  On re-reading cstr54, I see .h is defined as the
"Text baseline high-water mark on current page or diversion," which
is somewhat ambiguous, and diversions aren't mentioned in the info docs
at all, which state: "The 'high-water mark' on the current page.  It
corresponds to the text baseline of the lowest line on the page."

The issue doesn't affect my problem, but should we consider amending
the info docs entry?  "...corresponds to the text baseline of the
lowest line on the page, or, if in a diversion, of the lowest text
baseline in the diversion, measured from the start of the
diversion."  Words to that effect, anyway.

--
Peter Schaffter
http://www.schaffter.ca