Re: [Groff] groff developments - query about any interest?

From: John Gardner
Subject: Re: [Groff] groff developments - query about any interest?
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2016 10:56:28 +1100

> I'm flabbergasted how people can call code interesting that nobody has
> seen yet

Heh. Even if it were written in Whitespace
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitespace_(programming_language)>? ;-)

While we're on the topic of projects and hypothetical interest, maybe I
should bring this up... I plan to develop a Node.js module to generate
manpages with the minimal amount of effort expected of the average Node
developer.

It'd seem nobody in the Node.js community gives a crap about poor ol'
manpages, and I feel that each time the *"No manual entry for-"* error
reminds me that an executable's --help flag needs to be used to check its
options reference.

There're modules out there to generate manpages using Markdown or other
intermediate formats, but what we really need is something that can use
existing option-configs and churn out correctly-formatted manpages without
asking anything of the author. Relevant example which sparked the idea
<https://github.com/atom/atom/issues/5430#issuecomment-207519291>.

(Ingo might be pleased to know they'll be generated using BSD mandoc
macros, for the sake of document semantics and an abstraction layer. =))