Re: [Groff] *roff for desktop publishing - is it feasible?

From: Tadziu Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Groff] *roff for desktop publishing - is it feasible?
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2016 22:57:57 +0200

> Any chance you can upload the source?

Sure.  It's in the same place, with filename "dtp.ro".
Be warned, however, that it's not particularly pretty.
This is because (a) I've only tried to imitate the
original layout with no regard for elegance, therefore
the code consists mostly of just placing stuff on the
page at (seemingly) random positions, and (b) the style
of the original is itself mostly ad hoc.  If I'd be doing
something like this ab initio in groff, I'd start with some
suitable macros to simplify setting a consistent style
for the whole page.  On the other hand, this is probably
why my designs invariably appear somewhat technical and
lack a certain artistic flair.  To strain the analogy,
groff is great for making blueprints, not so much for
impressionist paintings.

For an example of such a more technical design, see
"Ostars.pdf" in the same directory, which is an (old)
conference poster I created many years ago with groff.