Re: [Groff] colorized man pages

From: Steffen Nurpmeso
Subject: Re: [Groff] colorized man pages
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2016 19:25:25 +0200

John Gardner <address@hidden> wrote:
 |Adding colours to manual-pages is a solution to a problem that doesn't
 |exist. It's purely aesthetic.
 |
 |As both a graphic designer *and* a programmer, I can say with confidence
 |that both disciplines exist to solve problems. If colour is what helps a
 |reader navigate a manpage's content, then the content in question is
 |probably a victim of a more mundane issue of poor structuring, verbosity,
 |and/or misuse of formatting.

I'm hoping for you that being a graphic designer with a preference
for minimalistic designs makes a living.  ^.^

In the end that feature would (hopefully will) also be for you,
then, because when i look at the manual of my MUA, which uses mdoc
and has been tweaked with commitment to be fully referenced
(regarding .Ev, .Va, .Ic, .Xr, .Cd etc.), with or without the
mdocmx extension enabled, i see many, many words which are
underlined or bold already today.  And then turning on the mdocmx
extension enabled hundreds and hundreds of functional hyperlinks,
also on the TTY and in less(1), ^.^, and those are ISO blue.  If
i could, i would use a colour which does not stand out _that_
much, for example.  I think it would be a good thing to have.

--steffen