Re: [Groff] Proper Small Caps.

From: Meg McRoberts
Subject: Re: [Groff] Proper Small Caps.
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 01:38:56 +0000 (UTC)

My recollection from Bell Labs (Naperville location in the mid-80's) was that
the lawyers hadcome up with some scheme where UNIX had to be all caps plus in a
"unique" font.  These werethe days of nroff/mmx and the nascent times of
device-independent troff so we used the smallerall-caps "UNIX" string to meet
those criteria.  Our style was to make any all-caps string 1-pointsize smaller
than the other text just because it looked better so we had to go to
\s-2UNIX\s+2.
But I don't remember us using the U\s-2NIX\s+2 string.
meg