Re: [Groff] Proper Small Caps.

From: Peter Schaffter
Subject: Re: [Groff] Proper Small Caps.
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2015 13:36:49 -0500

Tadziu --

On Mon, Jan 19, 2015, Tadziu Hoffmann wrote:

> > I'm fond of smallcaps, but I don't like the faked version,
> > not even the OpenType smallcaps.  Whenever possible, I
> > always advise getting a designer-cut smallcaps font.
>
> I don't understand.  Aren't the small caps of OpenType fonts
> that support this feature supposed to be real, designer-cut
> small caps?  Like those in the "expert" sets of traditional
> Type-1 fonts, but additionally with matching punctuation etc.?

I think you are right.  My confusion comes from statements like this:

  InDesign:

  Small Caps: This command, which can be accessed from the Character
  panel, will convert only the lowercase in selected text to small
  caps – either to true-drawn versions that are available with some
  OpenType fonts, or to fake, scaled-down ones for fonts that don't
  have the real thing.
                                                          [fonts.com]

This is actually a statement about how InDesign handles small
caps, not a statement about OpenType small caps management.  A tad
misleading.  Thanks for pointing out my error.

Which raises the point, does anyone know of a way to extract just
the small caps from an OpenType font that has them?

--
Peter Schaffter
http://www.schaffter.ca