Re: [Groff] Introduction to groff in french

From: Deri James
Subject: Re: [Groff] Introduction to groff in french
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2014 01:05:56 +0000

On Thu 11 Dec 2014 00:43:18 Bertrand Garrigues wrote:
> I was about to commit my example, however I ran into a problem.  When I
> generate the pdf with pdfmom -k, I have a few "can't translate character
> code 233 to special character `'e' in transparent throughput" errors but
> the output is fine.

Generally these warnings can be ignored, I believe they occur when groff is
trying to
"asciify" the HEADING text, but what results is the char code 233 anyway, which
is the
desired character in the PDFencoding used for the pdfmark entries used for the
document outline. This should not affect the normal page text and is only to do
with
the text used in the document outline.

> However, the .mom files in contrib/mom/examples are generated with
> LC_ALL=C; this causes more "can't translate character code[...]"
> errors and this time the output is incorrect (é and è letters are not
> correctly displayed).
>
> I've noticed that the example letter.mom -- that also contains
> accentec letters -- is correctly generated.  The difference is that my
> doc has accented letters in HEADINGS or other macros.

I believe some of the example files are pure ascii rather than UTF-8 so build
without
the -k flag. Your example is UTF-8 so does need the -k flag.

Cheers

Deri