Re: [Groff] [Heirloom] Double word space after :

From: Steffen Nurpmeso
Subject: Re: [Groff] [Heirloom] Double word space after :
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2014 13:47:21 +0100

Carsten Kunze <address@hidden> wrote:
 |"James K. Lowden" <address@hidden> wrote:
 |> It is not incorrect.  Typographical convention has varied over time and
 |> treatment of the colon along with it.  So, "correct" is hard to pin
 |> down.
 |>
 |> I was taught 500 moons ago that a colon may be followed by one or two
 |> spaces depending on purpose.  Examples:
 |>
 |> 1.  There is only one thing to fear: fear itself.
 |> 2.  Proceed as follows:  First, assume a can opener.
 |
 |Also that is new to me....
 |
 |> The troff behavior would seem to support that notion.  If the
 |> succeeding clause is independent, put it on a different line and let
 |> troff treat it as end-of-sentence.  If it's not, leave it in the
 |> running text and let troff treat as end-of-word.
 |
 |Ok, thanks!
 |
 |> P.S. What is the German practice?
 |
 |In German one space is used between words and after . ! ? : ,

As stated by "Duden" in "Guidelines for typesetting".
(On the other hand my last Duden [before the reform, from 1996] is
itself typeset very badly with inter-word spaces to become
frightened.  So much even «French spacing» won't heal it.)

 |That "French spacing" can be configured with the second argument \
 |of the .ss request.

Like Tadziu said, having an opportunity to be more specific, on
a per-letter base, would be something to play with.

--steffen