Re: [Groff] [patch] Typographic quotes in -mdoc %T

From: Keith Marshall
Subject: Re: [Groff] [patch] Typographic quotes in -mdoc %T
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2014 13:21:52 +0000

On 06/11/14 12:30, Anthony J. Bentley wrote:
> By ASCII I meant specifically ASCII output. I use UTF-8 terminals and
> the patch was intended to improve how the nroff output looks in that case.

That you use UTF-8 terminals is completely irrelevant; you are confusing
two distinct concepts here -- a character encoding (UTF-8), and the
*font* used for display.  No matter that the encoding is UTF-8,
depending on configured choice of font, your "typographic" quotes may
look nicely balanced, or horrendously ghastly; what looks nice to you
may look hideous to others, with a different font configuration.