Re: [Groff] new automake system

From: Robert Thorsby
Subject: Re: [Groff] new automake system
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2014 12:44:52 +1000

On 04/10/14 12:17:48, Denis M. Wilson wrote:
This expands on what Clarke says --- it's not just in the USA, but other English speaking dialects. What have other Western language authors have to say about this decline?

Good afternoon Denis,

I assume English as she is spoke & writ in Australia counts as another Western language. Here, we have almost lost the art of verbal communication -- both written and oral. Even sports commentators (who hitherto had elevated nonsensical spoken English to an art form) have lost the ability to speak in hyperbole.

Only the politicians, who speak a language unknown to the rest of mankind, have kept the faith -- but no one listens to pollies in Oz.

Perhaps the worst example I can provide is the captioning used on TV news reporting -- not foreign languages (which are usually adequately translated) but the local news which requires captions because it is shot with toy cameras and no sound crew. Our commercial TV stations use captions to cover bad sound quality but their captions have *random* pointsize increases. I kid you not. Any word that is not a conjunction may have a size increase -- and it is *not* done for emphasis, it is done solely for visual effect (affect?).

I rest my case.

Robert Thorsby