Re: [Groff] More referenceability for -mdoc would be an improvement!?

From: Ingo Schwarze
Subject: Re: [Groff] More referenceability for -mdoc would be an improvement!?
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 16:24:32 +0200

Hi Ralph,

Ralph Corderoy wrote on Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 01:02:36PM +0100:

> You may want to look into less's `tags' support, including the
> LESSGLOBALTAGS environment variable.

I fear that may be the wrong tool for the job.  This is all about
local jumping within one single page, while global(1) is all about
databases across large trees.  Also, global(1) requires an external
tags file which is not available in man page trees.

Once we try to generalize the concept to inter-page jumps, the
CTAGS database format is the wrong one, too.  It is intended for
source code, not manual pages.  The database we would have to
interface with would be the apropos(1) database, mandoc.db(5).

That said, maybe you are right there are some similarities of the
task, so comparing concepts and code may help to get the design
right.

Yours,
  Ingo