Re: [Groff] Overview, Sept. 2014

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] Overview, Sept. 2014
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2014 19:12:12 +0100

Hi Ulrich,

> The problem with global variables is their long range effect,
> comparable with the infamous goto statement: considered harmful.

I see little difference between looking at all the locations where the
global is changed and doing the same but for calls to a `set' routine,
other than the cognitive overhead of a function call versus an
assignment.

Personally, I think judicious globals can have their place, just like
gotos.  And SetterComponentReflectedDispatcherFactory and its ilk get in
the way, and don't improve even if they grow
XMLComponentConfiguratorBeanAwareCapability with bells on.  :-)

Cheers, Ralph.