Re: [Groff] Missing text in PDF with Mom

From: Peter Schaffter
Subject: Re: [Groff] Missing text in PDF with Mom
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2014 10:44:07 -0400

On Sat, Sep 06, 2014, Ted Harding wrote:
>> I wrote the small text file below in Mom, and processed
>> it into pdf using pdfmom 1.22.2, on a Fedora 20 box.  Then
>> I moved the pdf to a Windows machine.
>>
>> The generated pdf file doesn't have any paragraphs when viewed
>> by Adobe Reader XI Version 11.00.08 on Windows 8 64-bit.  It is
>> nothing but title text.
>>
>> But if I convert the resultant pdf to a PNG using pdftopng 3.04 on
>> Fedora, the title text and the paragraph text appears.
<snip>
> I'm not a Mommer, so cannot contribute any possible explanation!

I can't reproduce this problem.  Processing the sample .mom file
with pdfmom(1) on my system gives the expected result, ie all the
text is there.

I don't have Adobe Reader XI v11.00.08--Adobe hasn't released it for
Linux and I don't run Windows--but the pdf views cleanly in v9.1.0,
as it does in okular (kde) and evince (gnome).  I get identically
clean results with
  'groff -mom -Tpdf file > outfile.pdf'
and
  'groff -mom -Tps file | ps2pdf - outfile.pdf'

Mike (the OP, that is, not Bianchi), please test whether you get the
missing text problem with

  pdfmom file.mom | okular -

or

  pdfmom file.mom > outfile.pdf && evince outfile.pdf

If yes, then we may be able to track down where your problem lies.
If not, we have to conclude that Adobe Reader 11.xx for Windows is
responsible somehow.

Cheers.

--
Peter Schaffter