Re: [Groff] Extending refer

From: Bernd Warken
Subject: Re: [Groff] Extending refer
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2014 15:27:56 +0200

I added a TODO part in the `groff' source file `PROJECTS'.

> > /usr/dict/papers/Ind     Default database.
> >
> > That file does not exist.  The directory for such a file should
> > be in the groff directory under /usr/local/share.
>
> Mhmm.  Basically, you are right.  However, given that groff's `refer'
> implementation doesn't come with a default database, I see no urgent
> reason to change that.  For practically all purposes, you don't use
> the default but your own one, which can be specified with option `-p'.

A default database would not hurt anyone and it is documented in some
ancient books/documents.

But even more database files would be useful for large SEE ALSO in
groff-related man-pages.

> > 3) Moreover some `refer' database directory would be nice.
> This would be useful.
I will do that.

> > 4) The programs in Heirloom and refer history
> > - addbib
> > - roffbib
> > - sortbib
> > might be useful as well.
>
> Maybe, but there was no single request to add them over the years...

I will right `addlib', but that will take some time.  Would it be
possible and reasonable to use the already existing Heirloom programs?
Maybe some help from the Heirloom team might be very helpful.

Bernd Warken