Re: [Groff] What is the current state of Unicode support in Groff?

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] What is the current state of Unicode support in Groff?
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2014 11:21:39 +0100

Hi again Mike,

> It helps a lot with reading UTF-8 if the output devices support the
> runes.

I should have said, for PostScript I think that can be a problem with
"symbol" fonts being needed?  Others will know more, I'm sure.

Brian wrote:
> It all worked pretty well, though there were a lot of bandaids to
> handle indexing, contents, PDF, etc.

I forgot to cover this;  rather than go the `groff | ps2pdf - foo.pdf'
root, there's now a gropdf(1) backend.  Though I've little experience
with it, its author is on the list.  :-)

    http://www.gnu.org/software/groff/manual/html_node/gropdf.html#gropdf
    http://manned.org/gropdf.1

BTW, http://manned.org/groff_char.7 says

    Another special convention is the handling of glyphs with names
    directly derived from a Unicode code point; this is discussed below.

but I see no discussion?

Cheers, Ralph.