Re: [Groff] Automake migration proposal

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Automake migration proposal
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2014 15:29:28 +0200 (CEST)

> There should be a note that on Snow Leopard you have to set $CXX to
> an upgrade compiler -- the developer-toold shipped `Apple clang
> version 1.7 (tags/Apple/clang-77) (based on LLVM 2.9svn)' bails:
> [...]

Can you please provide a patch for groff's `PROBLEMS' file?

> Let me say at least once and finally that i personally consider
>
>   address@hidden groff.git]$ du -s gnulib
>   57548   gnulib
>
> a boldness, especially given that the single function that is used
> from that library is used faulty, and the replacement on the bug
> tracker is a few hundred byte object code.

Indeed, this bothers me too, but it's the way how gnulib works.  Note
that only the necessary gnulib files are added to a groff tarball, and
not the whole repository itself.

> But that imbalance will surely become smaller over time.

Definitely, since there are a lot of old functions in groff that
should be replaced with newer, better, and safer ones from gnulib.