Re: [Groff] Why is man better than groff for tty output of groff_char.ma

From: Ingo Schwarze
Subject: Re: [Groff] Why is man better than groff for tty output of groff_char.man?
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2014 18:57:01 +0200

Hi Bernd,

Bernd Warken wrote on Sat, Aug 02, 2014 at 03:01:08PM +0200:

> It is strange that we have so many useful characters with `nroff',
> but not with `groff -Tlatin1', etc.

>From the GNU nroff(1) manual:

  If neither the GROFF_TYPESETTER environment variable nor the -T
  command line option (which overrides the environment variable)
  specifies a (valid) device, nroff checks the current locale to
  select a default output device.  It first tries the locale program,
  then the environment variables LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, and LANG, and
  finally the LESSCHARSET environment variable.

So it looks like your personal environment is set to UTF-8.
You didn't necessarily configure that yourself, actually i doubt
you did, hearing you speak about it; probably that's the default
provided by your operating system.

On the other hand, if you specifically request -Tlatin1 from
groff, that's what you get.  ;-)

None of this has anything to with groff(1) vs. nroff(1), it's all
about specifying -T vs. relying on environment defaults.

> Would it make sense, to add `groff -n' for running `nroff' in text mode
> instead of strange `groff' commands - also maybe change `grog'.

Parse error...

It looks like you are dabbling in an area unfamiliar to you (locale
handling is not among my strong points either, but i know enough
about it to recognize you seem somewhat lost here).  Before trying
to improve what groff and groff support programs do with respect
to locales and charsets, i guess you ought to read up on some
basics with respect to these subjects.

Yours,
  Ingo