Re: [Groff] Compression support for files?

From: Steffen Nurpmeso
Subject: Re: [Groff] Compression support for files?
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2014 22:05:17 +0200

Huhu Keith,

Keith Marshall <address@hidden> wrote:
 |On 17/07/14 12:13, Steffen Nurpmeso wrote:
 |> Keith Marshall <address@hidden> wrote:
 |>|I consider this to be a regression.
 |>
 |> The last Windows i've seen anything of other than the browser
 |> window in an Internet Café was 95B (with Plus package).
 |
 |And what, exactly, has this to do with the subject?  It's 100%
 |irrelevant to your patch, and completely off-topic.

but wait a moment; will you agree that Uschi Obermaier really had
two beautiful and adorable breasts?

 |FYI, I rarely use MS-Windows, and I *never* use Cygwin.  My objection to
 |your diff had nothing whatsoever to do with my contributions to the
 |MinGW.org Project, and everything to do with your apparently nefarious
 |attempt to sneak the completely unnecessary removal of an existing,
 |potentially useful feature[*], which itself is entirely unrelated to
 |your declared intent, into your patch.  To further emphasize Ingo's
 |point, because of this apparently subversive behaviour, I will not even
 |review your patch further, because I now have zero confidence in its
 |likely trustworthiness.

Trigger happy policing.
(But i won't let 'em lay my soul to waste, nono.)

 |[*] 'RM = rm -f' is defined, as a standard default, by GNU make; by
 |defining it in our makefiles, we extend this feature to other make
 |implementations.  It isn't MS-Windows which requires this.  99 times out
 |of 100, I will surely accept the default, but on that other one
 |occasion, *on my linux box*, I may just want to override it with

Not with GNU make.

 |  make RM='rm -i' ...
 |
 |or even
 |
 |  make RM='echo rm -f' ...

make -n (unless prefixed with `+').
You can always place something in the $PATH first which does
exactly what you want.  (Just because i started supporting these
by-variable overwrites for the mua i maintain doesn't mean that
doing so is a sane thing by itself, generally speaking.)

 |Removal of that capability isn't germane to the intent of your patch; by
 |trying to sneak this unnecessary change in here, you have destroyed my
 |confidence in the entire patch set.  If I were the responsible
 |maintainer, I would have rejected the entire patch set already, without
 |any further consideration.  You shot yourself in the foot -- don't blame
 |me for that.

Yes, when this flesh and heart shall fail,
And mortal life shall cease;
I shall possess, within the veil,
A life of joy and peace.

Nighty night (from horsy horse)