Re: [Groff] groff postscript output rotated 90 degrees in for a 4 x 2.5

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] groff postscript output rotated 90 degrees in for a 4 x 2.5 inch label?
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2014 10:35:13 +0100

Hi Mike,

> I have the label printer working, so I think this should work:
>
>         groff  file >${tmpfile}
>         psnup  -w4in  -h2.5in  -l  ${tmpfile} >${tmpfile}2

Is that asking psnup to resize the input from its default of A4 to
4x2.5?  The text will get a lot smaller along the way?

>         Any suggestions?

Tell groff the non-rotated paper size?  Format is `length,width'.

    groff -P -p2.5i,4i mike.tr >mike.ps

Then make clear to psnup that no scaling is required and ask it to rotate.

    psnup -l -W4in -H2.5in -w2.5in -h4in mike.ps >rot.ps

That seems to have put the text rotated at the right place and size, but
the output paper size is still A4 here.  Perhaps psnup doesn't define
that so you have to use your imagination in gv, but the printer might
not care about the "off the page" content?

Do you actually send the PostScript to the printer, or does something
like CUPS render it to a native format?

Cheers, Ralph.