Re: [Groff] Formatting algorithm

From: Ulrich Lauther
Subject: Re: [Groff] Formatting algorithm
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2014 19:45:09 +0200

On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 12:04:27PM -0400, Peter Schaffter wrote:
> Ulrich --
> > But maybe just implementing "read NextWord" is the difficulty?
>
> After adjusting and breaking a line, groff holds remaining
> input-line text as a partially-filled line, so reading NextWord is
> at least theoretically possible.  However, that's not the same thing
> as gathering an entire paragraph, which, moreover, would have to be
> delimited in some manner in the input file itself.  And *not*, as
> Clarke pleads, by assuming a block of text in one line is a
> paragraph!

Well of course not. A paragraph ends, e.g. when an empty line is seen.
Probably there are a whole lot of other conditions.
My understanding is that formatting takes place after macros have been
expanded; at the macro level it would be easier.
So could the macros issue some hint (in form of a pseudo comment)
when they realize that a paragraph has ended?
> --

        ulrich