Re: [Groff] man pages (tangential to Future Redux)

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [Groff] man pages (tangential to Future Redux)
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 16:20:20 -0500

Ingo Schwarze <address@hidden>:
> Consequently, i counsel anybody who has the choice of formatting
> tools to avoid asciidoc and DocBook at all cost.

Your report is at best grossly exaggerated.

Many of the things you call 'bugs' are defensible implementation
choices given that the stylesheet is creating an output format output
that will never be re-parsed.

I have been maintaining the manual pages for all of my forty-odd
projects in asciidoc for around ten years now and have not encountered
the horrible problems you claim are endemic.

Perhaps more to the point, asciidoc is in heavy use by the Linux
kernel devs and the git crew.  It has passed the test of field
deployment.  This tells us that whatever problems it has must be
relatively minor and have workarounds.