Re: [Groff] Where do we go from here?

From: Colin Watson
Subject: Re: [Groff] Where do we go from here?
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2014 06:47:19 +0000

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 11:21:06AM -0500, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> Colin Watson <address@hidden>:
> > I'm happy with the quality of the bzr import we did, and long preferred
> > its UI, but even I have begun moving my projects to git in the
> > acknowledgement that it's won the DVCS wars;
>
> I myself prefer Mercurial's UI to git, but have reached the same rueful
> conclusion.  One major point in git's favor is the fast-import stream
> format - without it, reposurgeon would never have come to be and the
> groff conversion would have been *considerably* more difficult.

Quite so, it's wonderful.  (Although it's been picked up by other
projects; I've used it for various imports into bzr.)

> You say you're happy with bzr's UI.  Does it not seem to you that bzr is
> deeply confused about what its unit of work is?  I tried learning bzr
> in order to work on Emacs and found that the distinction between repos
> and detached branches made my head hurt a lot.

I've heard similar from others, but this has never bothered me (although
the colocated branch model used by git is certainly *convenient* in many
cases).  I guess it fits my brain.  It's probably several years too late
to have this debate, though. :-)