[Groff] Where do we go from here?

From: Peter Schaffter
Subject: [Groff] Where do we go from here?
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 23:26:32 -0500

Dave and I have been discussing font installation off list
and this unrelated issue came up, to which I'd like to respond
publicly.

----- Forwarded message from Dave Kemper <address@hidden> -----

...but at the end of the day, it doesn't help me shake my suspicion
that the core groff package is essentially abandonware.  Plenty of
people, yourself included, are actively maintaining macro packages
and other utilities to help groff interact with the wider modern
world.  And it has a healthy and robust user community who are more
than willing to help each other out, which is great.  But since
Werner has retired from development and no one else has shown much
inclination to take it up, it seems that basic groff isn't going to
evolve significantly.

----- End forwarded message -----

I've been dreading the day Werner stepped down as lead developer.
Werner, you have fulfilled the role perfectly, and I know I speak
for everyone on the list when I say you have earned not only our
respect, but our admiration.  Being a lead developer entails
qaulities that go far beyond coding skills, not the least of which
are diplomacy and an unflappable demeanour.  You have exhibited
both over and over again.  Under your leadership, groff has matured
wonderfully, remaining an active and vital part of the GNU
project.  My gratitude knows no bounds.

We will never find another like Werner, but the issue is before
us: Where does groff go from here, and who will take up the reins?

--
Peter Schaffter
http://www.schaffter.ca