Re: [Groff] using Linux Libertine with groff

From: Tadziu Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Groff] using Linux Libertine with groff
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2013 21:53:52 +0100

> 1. Although the fonts in this family define a number
> of ligatures, groff doesn't use them.  This is because
> the font files generated by install-font.sh contain no
> "ligatures" line.  I'm not sure whether this is a shortcoming
> in one of the conversion utilities install-font.sh calls,
> or whether there is something incorrectly defined in the
> original .ttf files.  (At least one other TrueType font that
> I installed using install-font.sh contains a "ligatures"
> line in its font file, so there is support for this.)

I think this is because afmtodit assumes these ligatures will be
called "fi", "fl", "ff", "ffi", and "ffl", but in the new fonts
they are called "f_i", "f_l", "f_f", "f_f_i", and "f_f_l".  I've
added these to the "text.enc" and "textmap" files, which causes
afmtodit to map them to the corresponding groff characters, but
I still had to add the "ligatures" line by hand.

(I believe other ligatures can't currently be used with groff.
As far as I know, this is hardwired.)

> 2. In a number of cases, switching between Libertine Italic
> and Libertine Roman requires an italic correction.  But the
> \/ and \, escapes, groff's mechanism to handle this, have
> no effect on the output when using the Libertine family.
> Does anyone know what might cause this, or how to correct it?

You have to call afmtodit with the "-i" option when generating
the description file for the italic fonts (the manual page
says that "-i50" was used for the standard fonts).

I've attached a demo PDF showing the results.

For the small caps and oldstyle figures, I simply made a copy
of textmap and text.enc in which I replaced the names of the
lowercase letters with the corresponding smallcaps names
(e.g., a -> a.sc, odieresis - > odieresis.sc, etc.) and the
digits by their oldstyle counterparts (one -> one.oldstyle,
etc.), and used those to generate a description file.