Re: [Groff] tables side-by-side

From: Ted Harding
Subject: Re: [Groff] tables side-by-side
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2013 22:49:28 -0000 (GMT)

On 04-Nov-2013 18:52:16 address@hidden wrote:

> Once I stumbled over the .sp feature, to increase the output line
> number counter (.nm) at every call to .sp, and ask myself, if here is
> another "harmless" vertical movement intended to be used instead. For
> instance to have a paragraph spacing.
> --hh

Yes, the line-count output after .nm has been called is the number
of *formatted* lines which has been output, not the number of line
heights correspondiong to the vertical position in the page.
So, for instance,

This is a line
.br
.nm 1
This is a line
.sp 2
This is a line

will output:

This is a line
1 This is a line

2 This is a line

If you want to increment the line-count when blank lines are
outpuit, then you need to explicitly incrtement the register
\n[ln], for instance

This is a line
.br
.nm 1
This is a line
.sp 2
.nr ln \[ln]+2
This is a line

will output:

This is a line
1 This is a line

4 This is a line

If you need to do this kind of thing, it would be best to
define a new macro, e.g. ".sp+", on the lines of:

.de sp+
.sp \\$1
.nr ln \\n[ln]+\\$1
..