Re: [Groff] question about .rs and .nop

From: Ulrich Lauther
Subject: Re: [Groff] question about .rs and .nop
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 20:46:11 +0200

On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 12:41:53PM -0400, Peter Schaffter wrote:

> I don't know how ms handles this, but with mom, use the ADD_SPACE
> macro after NEWPAGE.
>
> .NEWPAGE
> .ADD_SPACE 5v
> text2
>
> ADD_SPACE exists precisely to solve the problem you're encountering.
> It's documented in section 5.3.8 of the docs,

Yes, I had seen this.
But I wanted to write a macro MyNewPage, that does exactly the same
as NEWPAGE but does not leave me in nospace mode.
When I call ADD_SPACE for this purpose, I need to give an amount of
spacing.
.ADD_SPACE 0v   does'nt work
.ADD_SPACE 1v   works, but is different from NEWSPACE without nospace
                mode (one more blank line).
.ADD_SPACE 1u   works, but might be considered ugly.

Instead I use now:

.MAC MyNewPage END
.NEWPAGE
\&
.br
.sp -1v+1u
.END

which also is a bit ugly.

Any suggestion for a clean solution?
Nice would be a parameter to NEWPAGE that suppresses the nospace behaviour.

BTW, I never understood why the formatting macro packages donĀ“t like
the user to put space at the top of their pages.

Cheers,

  ulrich lauther