Re: [Groff] question about .rs and .nop

From: Ulrich Lauther
Subject: Re: [Groff] question about .rs and .nop
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 14:31:39 +0200

On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 01:21:34AM +0200, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> >> The groff manual says:
> >>
> >> .rs       Restore spacing; turn no-space mode off.
> >>
> >> However,
> >>   .rs
> >>   .sp 3
> >> does not work; one has to output some text first, to get .sp to
> >> work.
>
> I don't understand the problem.  Can you please give a complete
> example which I can directly compile with `groff -Tutf8'?

I cannot reproduce the problem with plain groff, but came across it when
using macro packages like mm or mom.

This demonstrates the problem:

.PRINTSTYLE  TYPESET
.HEADER_LEFT "top"
.START
text1
.NEWPAGE
.br
.rs
.br
.sp 5
text2
.NEWPAGE
text3
.NEWPAGE
foo
.br
.sp 5
text4

Put above into file "test" and process with

groff -mom -Tps test > test.ps; gv test.ps

and see, how text2 and text3 are placed with the same distance to the header
rule.
For text4, groff finally honors the preceeding .sp 5

Cheers,

  ulrich