Re: [Groff] replicating official memo

From: Tadziu Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Groff] replicating official memo
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2013 11:20:38 +0100

> I'm thinking now if I ever want to do footnotes or number
> headings or whatever, I should instead customize one of
> the existing macro packages.

If you're doing this (mostly) for fun and to really learn
troff, I suggest you try to cobble together your own macros
for this first.  Then you can choose to expand them or
later select an existing macro package to modify, but in
either case what you learn with a simple macro package and
the techniques to deal with problems that repeatedly occur
in document formatting will help you a lot in the future.
A good starting point are the tutorial examples in the
old Bell Labs Computing Science Technical Report #54
(http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/cstr/54.ps.gz).