Re: [Groff] Vgrind and vfontedpr

From: Meg McRoberts
Subject: Re: [Groff] Vgrind and vfontedpr
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2012 03:22:40 -0800 (PST)

Bonjour, Pierre-Jean,
I don't know much about vgrind, but the English word "grind" is a verb
that describes what you do to beef to get ground beef (aka hamburger)
or to grain to get flour.  Given that "ground" is the past tense of grind,
it does look like it comes from the Anglo-Saxon or other Germanic roots
of English rather than the French, doesn't it?

The man page says vgrind was created in 1991 and I don't think "virtual"
was terribly chic then...  I'm thinking it is more likely that the "v" stands
for "visual" as in vi...

Which also makes me wonder what the "m" in "vim" means...  Ah, the Wikipaedia
article about vi says that vim is vi iMproved...

Thinking back to how Unix people talked back then, I'm inclined to think
that the "edpr" part of vfontedpr stands for edit-print.

So this makes this visual-font-edit-and-print, which seems to be more or less
what
it does.  That is one of the longer command/program names from the days when we
used ASCII characters to do online art ;-)

Maybe others have better information...  My remarks are based on wild-eyed
speculation
only...

meg