[Groff] Question re: groff to PS to PDF to Microsoft Word...

From: Clarke Echols
Subject: [Groff] Question re: groff to PS to PDF to Microsoft Word...
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2012 13:54:58 -0600

About 8 years ago, there was a discussion of using pstopdf to get from
groff PostScript output to PDF, and then bring that into Word as a DOC
file.

I have a potential client who needs copy in DOC/Word format, and I'm
on Linux.  That leads to my question:

Can I reliably get from groff source to PS (no EQN, but may include
tables), then convert to PDF using ps2pdf with the expectation that
Word will import the PDF file and convert to DOC without breaking
things?

Last time I tried anything of the sort, I produced a doc file from
OpenOffice Writer, but when I read it using Word on a PC, the tables
were mangled beyond anything remotely useful.

Any experts with experience doing this out there who are willing to
opine?

Thanks,

Clarke