Re: [Groff] Detection of PATH_SEPARATOR in configure

From: James K. Lowden
Subject: Re: [Groff] Detection of PATH_SEPARATOR in configure
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 22:12:28 -0500

On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 19:14:00 -0800
Jeff Conrad <address@hidden> wrote:

> And the idiosyncrasies continue ...  The current test invocation finds
> sh on my system only because I have /bin as a symbolic link to c:/
> Program Files/MKS Toolkit/mksnt.  Now the idea isn't that novel, so
> I'm sure some others have also thought of it.  But it's certainly not
> something that can be assumed.  If sh cannot be found, PATH_SEPARATOR
> is set to ':', which doesn't make sense to me (wouldn't any Unix-like
> system always have /bin/sh?).

It does make you wish for which(1) or "command -v" for Windows, doesn't
it?

I think your plan is reasonable.  The alternative would be to push on
configure.guess and assume the path separator for any form of Windows
is a semicolon.  I'm not sure that's more correct, though.

> (wouldn't any Unix-like system always have /bin/sh?)

Well, yes, because a system without /bin/sh isn't very Unix-like.

--jkl