Re: [Groff] An uppercase mode

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] An uppercase mode
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 10:22:58 +0100 (CET)

> [...] it turned out that simple requests like
>
>    .tr aAbBcC or
>    .char aA
>
> do not work with Russian (non-ACSII) symbols and that I have to do:
>
>    .char a\[u0431]
>
> which of course only works with the PostScript de- vice, but fails
> with latin1 which I use for text output.

It is a limitation of groff that a character must be a one-byte entity
or `\[...]'.  Hence no native UTF-8 input support, but you have to use
the preconv preprocessor.

However, I don't understand this line:

  .char a\[u0431]

You want to map `Latin small letter a' to `Cyrillic small letter be'?

Can you prepare a small example which really demonstrates what you
want to do?