Re: [Groff] Mac Editor with Groff Syntax Highligting

From: Anton Shepelev
Subject: Re: [Groff] Mac Editor with Groff Syntax Highligting
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2011 11:23:55 +0400

Here's Chris Schaller e-mail in which he proposes to
(ab)use Vim's make and  quickfix  functionality  and
provides  references  to two more Vim-related books.
Posting from Chris's permission:
Anton,

Here's yet another vi lover.  I am  not  sure  if  I
understood  you  correctly  regarding  processing in
vim, but you might want to take a look at

:h :make
:h 'makeprg'
:h 'errorformat'
:h quickfix

Usually setting makeprg to your groff  pipeline  and
abusing  the quickfix (it's main purpose is display-
ing error messages from a compiler with  neat  jump-
to-next-error) after a >make should produce the out-
put of your commands in a new window.  You  probably
have to tweak things, but it should work...

BTW, what really got me hooked to vi was Walter Alan
Zintz's UnixWorld tutorial.  (found a copy at
http://www.ele.uri.edu/faculty/vetter/Other-stuff/vi/009-index.html)
and "Learning the vi editor" (Robbins, Lamb), but  I
never had the chance to get a hand on Clarke's book,
though.

HTH,
  Chris