Re: [Groff] Creating a table macro

From: Clarke Echols
Subject: Re: [Groff] Creating a table macro
Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 17:07:12 -0600

Tadziu Hoffmann wrote:
I see now, that for most purposes, macros involving
preprocessors should be avoided.

For the most part, yes.  There probably *are* some cool tricks
you can do, but they would require a good idea of what happens
internally.

One caution:

There may be some "neat tricks" you can use, but be careful to
make sure you comment your code *thoroughly* -- especially if
you're in a situation where someone else may come along who has
to pick up your responsibilities if or when you're gone or move
on to other things.

Having lots of comments -- especially inside of macro files, etc.
-- has saved me many hours years later when I try to figure out
what I was doing way back when.

And your successors will appreciate it.

That's good advice anywhere, groff, XHTML, CSS, -- anywhere.

Clarke