Re: [Groff] Vertical space around displays in MM

From: Anton Shepelev
Subject: Re: [Groff] Vertical space around displays in MM
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2011 02:02:34 +0300

Ted Harding:

> And, just for comparison, in the ms macros the variables
> (amongst others) are defined:
>
> \n[PD] "Paragraph Drop": space before the next paragraph
> \n[DD] "Display Drop": space before and after a display
>
> I prefer, myself, to set these to zero, and explicitly
> insert whatever space I want at a particular point. Then
> by default there would be no spacing. The paragraph macros
> do not insert any space of their own apart from what is
> implied by these variables.

Back  in my school days I was tinkering with MS Word
and, later, with  Adobe Pagemaker 7.0  imposing  and
printing  books  downloaded from the internet in the
form of what  was  called  "2-saddle-up  stitch"  in
Pagemaker.

Back  then  I  was  fruitlessly struggling with this
problem of additive vertical space, had to use  spe-
cial  and unnatural paragraph styles and so on. MM's
SP macro does exactly what I was dreaming to achieve
and I like it :)

Attached is a patch containing the fix I suggested.

Anton