Re: [Groff] EQN documentation

From: Ted Harding
Subject: Re: [Groff] EQN documentation
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 21:50:14 -0000 (GMT)

Many thanks for the responses by Doug McIlroy (off-list)
and Ralph Corderoy. They are well-considered, and are
having the effect I was hoping for -- namely, salutory
comments on my manner of presentation, before I get too
deeply dug in!

I can only work intermittently on this at the moment, so
updates will happen as they happen, but I'll be doing my
best to take account of these comments.

Unfortunately[?!] my experience of using eqn goes back
almost 30 years, so I have a lot to get off my chest.
This perhaps tends to show inopportunely at times.

My strategy so far has been to start off (as now) with
a general beginner's basic introduction, at the same
time exhibiting the diversity of mathematical expression
that is possible even at this level. This will from time
to time involve a bit of fancy footwork (e.g. the macro
'quadsol' for the generic solution of quadratic equations),
but so far I don't think it's out of place, and should
server as a "taster" for later developments.

Lined up (a lot further down the line) is a systematic
formal and technical overview of eqn. I'm still thinking
about how best to serve this up.

With thanks, and keep the comments coming!
Best wishes to all,
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <address@hidden>
Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861