Re: [Groff] refer help

From: Dean Allen Provins, P. Geoph.
Subject: Re: [Groff] refer help
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2010 09:22:38 -0600

Peter:

On Fri, Sep 03, 2010 at 08:38:45PM -0400, Peter Schaffter wrote:
> Any refer experts out there?  I'm overhauling mom's refer handling
> to make it fully MLA compliant, and I've encountered two issues.
>
> The first is that refer doesn't appear to recognize named glyphs in
> a refer database, eg "Encyclop\[ae]dia Britannica" comes out as
> "Encyclop dia Britannica" and "Antoine de St-Exup\['e]ry" as
> "Antoine de St-Exup ry".  Is there a solution to this,
> or a known workaround?

I used refer a great deal when writing my thesis a few years ago.
I had occasion to use accented letters in names and the like, but
did so as follows:

%A D. Lelgemann
%D October 1981
%J Manuscripta Geod\(aetica
%N 2
%P 157-191
%T On Numerical Properties of Interpolation with Harmonic Kernel Functions
%V 6
%K QB275 .B84
%W McKimmie library

This worked quite well for me.  Perhaps it will be a solution for
you too.

I cannot help you with your other problem.

Dean

[snip ...]

--
                           Dean Provins, P. Geoph.