Re: [Groff] antiquity of troff

From: Larry Kollar
Subject: Re: [Groff] antiquity of troff
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 08:12:02 -0400

Meg McRoberts wrote:

Does anyone know the history of mmx?  When I started, mmx was the
command we used to produce formatted ASCII text from source that
used the *roff macros.  I got the idea that it was an older tool which
was being linked to nroff at about that time...

I seem to remember reading about it, or something similar, in some older documentation. If I'm right, it serves much the same purpose as groff does (in relation to gtroff, grops, and so forth): it uses command-line options and certain defaults (including calling -mm) to build a pipeline.

        Larry