Re: [Groff] Another hdtbl patch

From: Larry Kollar
Subject: Re: [Groff] Another hdtbl patch
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 14:08:47 -0500

Werner LEMBERG wrote:

Actually, to "groff_hdtbl.man" to include details about what needs
to be initialized before creating tables.

Thanks!  However, documentation of the `pv' macro is still missing.
Honestly, I'm not really happy about pv's strange calling sequence to
use it for initialization.  Do you have a better idea?

Regarding the name `pv': Together with other auxiliary macros of the
hdtbl package (like `index', `getarg', `DI', or `SP'), it
unnecessarily pollutes the global namespace with a rather generic
name.  The right solution IMHO is to use the prefix `t*' for all of
them, as already done for the hdtbl configuration strings.

Can you work on this?  Otherwise, I'll simply apply your patch,
postponing the other necessary work.

Sure, hold off on the patch and I'll see what I can do. I see Joachim has weighed in with a few comments, so I'll see about fixing those as well.

This actually brings up something that has been bugging me for a while, and I think deserves its own thread: we should come up with some namespace guidelines for macro packages, especially for internal- use macros, to prevent conflicts. Whatever we agree on could go in the texinfo document.

        Larry