Re: [Groff] groff data structures

From: Tadziu Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Groff] groff data structures
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2010 18:46:21 +0100

> Mhmm, in TeX you have basically the same limitations.
> Both groff and TeX languages are not well suited to such
> operations.  Recently, TeX has been extended with a lua
> interpreter: luaTeX; this seems to be the future, since
> complete support for OpenType has been already implemented.

Interesting.  But I wonder: apart from backwards compatibility,
wouldn't it make more sense to reimplement the basic routines
of the typesetter in the chosen language instead of tacking
an interpreter onto the typesetting engine to expose internals
that were never designed to be accessed externally?

> > I got a reply from Tadziu Hoffman who gave me an idea of
> > making a real stack,
>
> As I mentioned in a previous mail, this works fine for
> arguments without spaces only.

And I doubt the string-based stack is any more "real" than
the "constructed-variable" version.  It only appears pretty
because the implementation is short, which hides the inherent
inefficiency of repeatedly having to rescan the string to
divide it into separate elements and then to glue them all
together again.  (My design stems from an experiment to see
how far I could come using only 2-character names, thus the
idea of storing everything inside a single string.)