[Groff] Re: [oss-security] CVE id request: groff (pdfroff)

From: Nico Golde
Subject: [Groff] Re: [oss-security] CVE id request: groff (pdfroff)
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 20:12:00 +0200

Hi,
* Solar Designer <address@hidden> [2009-08-14 18:54]:
> Thank you for forwarding this info in here - it has helped.
>
> Have you notified Werner LEMBERG, the upstream maintainer?

No I just dumped this on the list so far and hope that our
maintainer did this. However I CCed address@hidden now.

> I have some comments on "the first bug" and on groff's temporary file
> handling in general:
>
> On Sun, Aug 09, 2009 at 03:48:17PM +0200, Nico Golde wrote:
> > First one:
> > pdfroff tool of groff is creating files in a insecure manner
> > in the /tmp directory.
>
> There's a mitigating factor: pdfroff will use $TMPDIR (or one of three
> other env vars that it checks) if set.  On Owl, pam_mktemp sets $TMPDIR
> to point to the user's private temporary file directory upon PAM session
> setup, which is invoked on both remote and console logins, and on cron
> job invocations.

Yes I saw this, unfortunately those variables aren't set on
Debian.

> I found your trivial patch (pdfroff.sh.diff, 389 bytes) a bit unfinished:
>
> -  WRKFILE=${GROFF_TMPDIR=${TMPDIR-${TMP-${TEMP-"."}}}}/pdf$$.tmp
> +  WRKFILE=${GROFF_TMPDIR=$(mktemp -t -d groffXXXXXX)}/pdf$$.tmp

True this is quick and dirty and can't be considered
complete.

> - no check for a possible mktemp error;
> - will leave the directory around upon pdfroff termination;

True, I didn't do this as groff removes the files via a trap
before the patch and I missed that GROFF_TMPDIR is not
pointing to a directory that was created for this usage.

> - changes semantics, but does not update documentation (the man page is
> explicit on what temporary file directories pdfroff uses).

Ok, I didn't read the manpage while writing the patch.

> I included more elaborate changes to pdfroff (both the script and the
> man page) in groff-1.20.1-owl-tmp.diff available here:
>
> http://cvsweb.openwall.com/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/Owl/packages/groff/

The patch looks great and way more clean than my
quick-and-dirty one. Thanks! I forwarded this to the Debian
bug report.

[not stripping this because of the new CC]
Can someone please assign CVE ids to these issues?

Cheers
Nico
--
Nico Golde - http://www.ngolde.de - address@hidden - GPG: 0xA0A0AAAA