Re: [Groff] GNU Bazaar import of Groff

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] GNU Bazaar import of Groff
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 08:24:41 +0100 (CET)

>> Nice!  On the other hand, I would have used git...
>
> Oh, that's a shame,

Hehe.  No further comments :-)

> every time I've used 'cvs import' I've regretted it later.

Ah, I wasn't aware that `import' creates a new branch.

>> appear to be empty.  Are you sure that this isn't a bug in the
>> conversion program?
>
> It's one revision per affected file.  It could well be a bug in the
> conversion program (or at least the lack of a feature to handle this
> sort of thing some better way; it does have to track it somehow when
> a file is on a branch other than MAIN, since if that changes the
> effective contents of the repository could change without there
> being anything that looks like a changeset expressing the change),
> although from the sound of things it is also an unintended
> repository layout. :-)

What about contacting the bzr authors, asking for an option to the
CVS->bzr converter so that you can suppress `branch imports'
altogether?  Perhaps better, I can imagine having an option which
accepts a file with a list of file names or directories which
shouldn't be handled as being on a branch.

> If these files aren't actually supposed to have their default branch
> set to 1.1.1 (essentially equivalent to a vendor branch), then
> perhaps you could fix it in the repository?  Running 'cvs admin -b'
> on each affected file ought to do it.

This is something the Savannah people have to execute, I believe.  Can
you provide a batch file which does exactly the right thing?  It looks
like a good and simple solution, regardless of contacting the bzr
developers.