Re: [Groff] Problem with -me package

From: Keith Marshall
Subject: Re: [Groff] Problem with -me package
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 09:17:00 +0000

On Monday 09 February 2009 17:47:56 brian m. carlson wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 09, 2009 at 01:56:18PM +0300, Anton Shepelev wrote:
> > groff version 1.19.2
>
> I assume since you're using Apple Mail that you're using Mac OS X.
>  If so, is this the groff version that comes with Mac OS X?  I seem
> to remember that there was a problem with some versions of nroff
> that were shipped by default.

Notwitstanding that there may be issues with some OS X builds of
groff, as shipped by Apple, this one is completely reproducible with
groff-1.19.2 on GNU/Linux.  It looks like a bug in e.tmac, (in its
page transition handling specifically); trivially converting the OP's
test case to use s.tmac instead, produces output as expected.

Just for the record, the OP's test case did *not* crash nroff; it
simply caused nroff to give up on his input stream, reporting:

  troff: fatal error: input stack limit exceeded
  (probable infinite loop)

That is a strong indicator of a probable infinitely recursive macro
loop, induced by the specific set of conditions imposed by the OP's
input sample.

Keith.