Re: [Groff] search order of tmac directories

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] search order of tmac directories
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2008 13:47:40 +0200 (CEST)

> >   1. directories given with the -M command line option
> >   2. directories given in the GROFF_TMAC_PATH environment variable
> >   3. the current directory (only if in unsafe mode)
> >   4. the home directory
> >   5. a site-dependent directory, e.g. /usr/local/lib/groff/site-tmac
> >   6. a local directory, e.g. /usr/local/share/groff/site-tmac
> >   7. the standard directory, e.g. /usr/local/share/groff/1.19.3/tmac
> >
> > I think there is a logical error, and 5 should be exchanged with 6 to
> > have an order with the decreasing priority.
> >
> > If noone objects, I'll reverse it accordingly.
>
> I'm guessing that the logic is that 6 and 7 are both rooted in
> /usr/local/share and 5 is not.  To me that seems logical.

Not really.  IMHO, files in the local directory are `more local' than
files in the site-dependent directory; for example,
/usr/local/lib/groff/site-tmac could contain macro packages which are
essential to a platform (e.g., default adaptions to EBCDIC encoding),
while /usr/local/share/groff/site-tmac contain optional stuff for
everyone.